Print Quality

My client needs to print out their emails and wishes to use them as handouts. The emails will contain several phots, so it is nececcessary for them to look crisp. How can I be sure to get the best print quality?

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Hi Zusa, welcome to the forums.

Like the web, email isn't really suited for printing. If you're looking for decent print quality, you'll need to use a higher resolution that the web/email can offer I'm afraid.

Zusa, 8 years ago

Is there a way for them to print it out, before it goes to email?  So, say, load the photos into the template than covert to a pdf and print?

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

I'm afraid not sorry Zusa, that's not something we've had a request about before, so unless it was something many customers needed it probably won't be considered I'm afraid.

style campaign style campaign, 8 years ago

Hi Zusa,

I sometimes get requests from clients to turn an email I have designed into a flyer or even large store posters...it's never straight forward. The email artwork is usually 72dpi and not print quality. Also the size of the newsletter- say 600 pixels wide by 600 tall - is smaller than (and often the wrong ratio) than a  flyer.

If you have the artwork you used in the email at 300dpi or vector based you can go back and redesign a high quality print version, but it will mean extra work...unless your client is doing this on the cheap and does not mind poorer print quality. You could always do a screen grab of the email before it's sent and print that out...

Anna

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

Got to agree with Anna here, I've always found just print-screen & pasting to Photoshop as being the most reliable route to printing an email, or any webpage for that matter. HTML just wasn't designed for printers - you'll notice many websites that offer 'print-friendly' versions of pages are reduced to very basic formatting exactly because of this.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
style campaign style campaign, 8 years ago

You know this came up again for me yesterday... a client wants to be able to add a print version link at the top of their newsletter. Is there a way to take the text only build and link to it in the HTML? It would be handy to have a CM tag like the webversion be textversion. I know I can do this myself but It would be great not to have the extra work.

I am also thinking of mobile users, retailers like Barrie Pace are adding a, "View on Mobile Device" link at the top of their newsletters, it launches a text only copy. Here is an example of the Barrie Pace email (not someone I work with):

http://link.ixs1.net/s/ve?ei=q265714&si=v193002159&cfc=3html

rlehman, 8 years ago

I would like to see a <textversion> tag too, that would provide a link to the text version of the email for PDA users. I've noticed a few mailers doing it, and I think it's a great idea.

Larry, 7 years ago

Please add my vote for a <textversion> tag too.  We mainly send out coupons and some folks have complained that printing them burns a lot of ink.

To anyone....Any suggestions as to the best way to handle this in the interim?

Thanks

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 7 years ago

Hi @Larry, thanks for your vote - we're giving this a lot of thought. Support and myself sat down and tried to find an interim way to link to a text version of the email - the easiest thing we can think of is for you to upload your coupons to your domain and link to them, unfortunately.

We'll let you know if we do introduce a <textversion> tag - there's a great case for it right here.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098