Is there a way to download Canvas templates?

Hi Guys
Quick question: is there a way to download (to then modify) Canvas templates made in CM?
I was able to do so going to the public Canvas site and having it emailed to me, but it would be good to be able to do this from within CM (Ie. while logged on to your account).

If not, are you considering making this functionality available?

Stephen, 1 year ago

Hey Pete,

Thanks for your question and and apologies for any confusion here, however just to confirm, at present it's only possible to download the HTML and CSS for a draft campaign when you set up a campaign at - after you've created your campaign, you'll then have the option of signing up and creating an account, and just at the base of the page, there's an option to "or, Download as HTML & CSS", and we'll then email those files through to you :)

Unfortunately this is the only way to obtain this code at present, and it's not possible to export Canvas templates directly within the app at this time, but thanks for your suggestion here, and as a result, I'm going to go ahead and log this as a feature request for you, as this is indeed something we're hoping to make available in the future, so we'll be sure to follow up and let you know when this becomes available down the track :)

blad, 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply Stephen - I thought as much. It's not too much of a hassle for me, but is obviously a bit of a hack/workaround at the moment doing it from the public pages. I understand (and support) the move by CM to 'professionalise' the templating work done by people (although admittedly at the expense of those people who used to be able to do their basic branding under the old system as discussed in numerous posts), but a facility to download templates is going to be required once the transition to Canvas is complete.

ps. Just a note/FYI to others requiring a download of a Canvas template for customisation.
Until a download facility is added to your accounts Template management pages, you will need get the template files from the CM public gallery pages. Here are some instructions:

* Create a template at
* Do whatever customisation you can (not fine-controlled at the moment)
* Have it emailed to you so you can work on it
* Manually add your own <unsubscribe> and <webversion> tags as they don't come across in the download version.
* Upload it into your account when ready.

Hope that's helpful for someone.

reaven5566, 1 year ago

Hey there! I couldn't agree with you more that those would be super useful rules to be able to use with segments! Some other folks have requested them as well and I've gone ahead and added a vote on your behalf. I really hope we'll be able to add that functionality in the near future!

Decrease your exam stress by using our latest LX0-101 braindump and HITACHI. We provide with 100% pass guarantee along with The University of Tokyo and Youtube.
davidcl, 1 year ago

I was excited to find this post, but it looks like downloading Canvas Templates is no longer possible even from the public site.  Can someone confirm?

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 1 year ago

Hi there davidcl, it's still possible to download templates from our public email builder. Once you finish creating the template, you should see this link. Let us know if you have any issues with this!

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free