VML buttons - editing links?

Is there any easy way of editing VML button links or does the URL have to be set in the source code? I'm assuming singleline won't work actually within an href? A bit confused as to how bulletproof buttons would work in an actual client-editable template...

JD JD, 1 year ago

Hi there! The url does need to be set in the source code, I'm afraid. Unfortunately, there is no support for editable template tags within the VML code at this time. As there are not any template tags which are made specifically for buttons in our custom template editor, pasting that source code directly into the "Source section" of a description area - within the content editor - is the ticket. Right now, this is the only way to add a VML button link into a campaign using a client-editable template - and have the button link be editable, I'm afraid. Sorry for the limitation there.

I know this would be a really nice feature to have, so I've added your vote for it! We are careful to count all our customers' votes, so we'll consider it when planning what features to add in the future, and we'll be sure to email you if and when it's possible. Thanks!

JD
Campaign Monitor Support
durshley, 1 year ago
JD :

I know this would be a really nice feature to have, so I've added your vote for it! We are careful to count all our customers' votes, so we'll consider it when planning what features to add in the future, and we'll be sure to email you if and when it's possible. Thanks!

Agreed, would be a great feature! Thanks v much for your reply

DonnieClarko, 1 year ago

Hi JD,
I am working on a template for a client using the lovely bullet-proof buttons. I looked at some of the pre-designed templates in the email builder which include them. It seems it is possible to update both button text and link AND the vml (having looked at the output html).

If this is possible for the email builder templates, can you let us know the secret?

Thanks!
Pete

ox4dboy, 9 months ago

+1 DonnieClarko, I've been waiting for this for years and years.

Here is how I currently address this problem:

1. I create the button using a multiline block
2. I number the places that the buttons needs to be edited, 1 through 4
3. I make sure to tell my clients that when they create a button, they have to comb through  the code, looking for the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4.
4. For each number, I include a tip that helps with the editing

Here is the code:

<multiline label="Button">
  <div class="wrapButton">
    <!--[if mso]>
  <v:roundrect xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" href="http://1-ADD-MY-LINK-HERE" style="…" arcsize="10%" strokecolor="#3c3f42" fillcolor="#ffffff">
    <w:anchorlock/>
    <center style="…">2-BUTTON-TEXT</center>
  </v:roundrect>
<![endif]-->
    <a href="http://3-SAME-LINK-HERE" style="…">
         <span style="…">4-BUTTON-TEXT</span>
    </a>
  </div>
</multiline>

(I've removed the CSS to keep the example easier to read.)

Web/App & Experience designer by degree, former PMO, logo designer & founder of @WePiphanyBooks. Designing solutions that save time, feel good & make money.
benw, 1 week ago

+1 from me too. Seems like such a fundamental requirement to be missing.

Thanks for the workaround ox4dboy, you've saved me a good chunk of time.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098