Hi There. I am a long time MailChimp user and now I am trying CM. I have created and sent two campaigns already and I have several issues I need to help with:
1) I am using one of the basic templates provided and my HTML e-mail is trimmed out in gmail. I googled it out and it looks like gmail is cutting off all HTML e-mails larger than 102kb (only raw html code counting). I believe the generated code shouldnt be bigger than that.
Since there is no option in CM to export existing campaign to HTML and look inside the code (at least I havent found it) I wondered what to do. I tried to display raw source in my Apple mail app and it looked TERRIBLE. 336KB of mess and some error tags like
<w:LsdException Locked=3D"false" Priority=3D"63" SemiHidden=3D"false" UnhideWhenUsed=3D"false" Name=3D"Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/>
I dont know wether this is original message from CM or my e-mail app messed it up already.
Nevertheless why is HTML e-mail sent from CM so big? This wasnt an issue with MailChimp and for our users this is a big issue.
2) Our e-mails from CM are bounced from main Czech free e-mail provider "centrum.cz". Its about 20% of our database. I believe this has something to do with the point 1) above and e-mail is marked as spam/too-large via their mail server. Again this never happened to our campaigns sent with MailChimp.
Why is generated HTML e-mail so big? Is there some sort of error on my side? What should I do? Is there any way to download HTML source of the sent campaign? Is it normal to have CM campaigns trimmed out in gmail?
I'm sorry for the clipped message in Gmail and higher numbers of bounces! I can explain all of the factors I've found in my investigation and I'll get in contact with you over email so that we can find a way to set things right.
The images which you've added to the campaign add up to 221.2 KB so those contributed a good portion of the size threshold, I'm afraid. We have a great blog post on tools you can use to reduce the size of your images with as little quality loss as possible that may be a big help to you.
The extraneous code that you uncovered was pasted in from Word when you were creating the campaign, I'm afraid. We seem to have unknowingly opened up a way in which it is possible to paste Microsoft's proprietary code into our email builder.
I've reported it to our developers who will find a fix for this so that no one else is able to accidentally paste in Word code.
From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that drive real business results.Get started for free