Text-transform uppercase and SPAM

Does anyone know if it makes a difference to Spam filters whether or not you use text-transform uppercase instead of actually typing in all caps in the code of the email?  A lot of our emails copy the styles of print materials that have a lot of uppercase letters, but we don't want the emails getting caught in Spam. I wasn't sure if Spam filters look at the html code (which would show lowercase letters) or the rendered email (with all caps).

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 1 year ago

Hi there, geeka - that's a great question! From my knowledge, I haven't seen "text-transform" trigger spam filters, so I dare say it's safer to use than all caps. Very interesting question - I'm keen to see if anyone else has thoughts on this!

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
resoundcreative resoundcreative, 1 year ago
roshodgekiss :

Hi there, geeka - that's a great question! From my knowledge, I haven't seen "text-transform" trigger spam filters, so I dare say it's safer to use than all caps. Very interesting question - I'm keen to see if anyone else has thoughts on this!

From at technical standpoint, I agree with Ros. I haven't seen uppercase styles trigger SPAM filters.

That said, I would err on the side of compliance and stay away from all-caps as much as possible. Even if it doesn't trigger SPAM filters, it may come across as yelling or over-selling to some of your subscribers. In many cases, the design and tone of printed pieces—often sent without explicit permission from the recipient—doesn't translate to emails, where there is more of a sense of personal-ness. Remember, these people have specifically opted-in to receive your emails in their inbox. If it's requiring "screaming" to get them to pay attention this may be a sign of bigger issues in the content marketing strategy.

—Mike Jones
Creative Director & Partner at Resound Creative
resoundcreative.com
geeka, 1 year ago

Thank you for the feedback, it's good to know that text-transform doesn't seem to trigger Spam filters!  These emails we're sending are digital invitations that accompany printed invitations in the mail, so they're not marketing emails, they go to specific lists of people who expect to receive them.  Even so, all caps online looks different from all caps printed as was said, so we will be discussing to see if it's better to use more lowercase anyway for readability.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098