authentication and relaying

How do I deal with a mail server that requires a sender to authenticate themselves in order for a message to be accepted? Are there settings in the "from email" setup for entering a user name and password for authentication?

For instance, say I set up a test and the from email address is user@abc.com
And I send a campaign from that user to someone@yahoo.com, someone@gmail.com, and someone@abc.com.

I expect the test emails would get to the yahoo and gmail accounts, but if the mail server at abc.com is set with strict settings to not relay and to drop mail from local users who do not authenticate themselves, the email to someone@abc.com will get dropped by abc.com's mail server since will look like a spammer or nefarious relayer to it.

How would I deal with this issue to ensure email sent from a user at a domain and to other users at that same domain gets through? (for my own mail server which is set as above, or if a client I'm doing this for has a similar email server setup).

thanks!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098