Printing styled headlines

I am out looking for advice on building a html email. I am well aware that I should use tables for layout, and inline styles to make it pretty. I am also aware that using stylesheets in the head part of the document will be stripped by many mail clients.

This is why I ask the following question - How do I handle background images and styled headers for print?

I need to have a headline that is styled to have a color background, and white text. Can I somehow make it so that if the email is printed, the headline will display as gray text on white background?

Normally I would use a stylesheet for print, but since this is not so easy when dealing with emails, is there any other way? Or is the solution to include a print stylehsheet, and then only have it print the way I want in the cases where the stylesheet is supported?

Any other things I should know or think about when designing an email with printing in mind?

Generator, 8 years ago

I can't help you directly but I would be interested to know why the printed version needs to be different.

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098