is there a reliable 1px horizontal rule method?

[update: partial solution below]

I'm trying to put an HR in an email, but actually using 100% width 1px high table/td. I've trawled the forums/stackoverflow etc and can't yet find a solution that works across all Outlooks *AND* Lotus 6,7,8 (as well as the other clients but they're less problematic)

I guess it would be possible to do an if(!mso) and if(mso) rule and double up the content as I have some options that work in Outlook and some that work in Lotus but not both .. that's not ideal though

anyone have anything reliably working yet?

I am happy to test any suggestions in Litmus and post the results.

jmp909, 10 months ago

for my purposes I didn't need an exact 1px height in terms of the space surrounding the horizontal rule (ie it's not a pixel perfect slice of an image here, just a divider in some copy)

I found border-bottom:1px solid #FFFFFF for some reason gave me a black border in Lotus 7. could be something to do with the default font colour I'm not sure. however using border-top worked ok

this therefore appears to work for me in all email clients Litmus lets me test.

<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<td height="1" style="border-top:1px solid #ffffff; font-size:1px; height:1px; line-height:1px">&nbsp;</td>

hope this is useful to someone

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free