html page in Outlook 2007

I have a page which looks great in all other mail clients. However, it does not look as it is supposed to in Outlook 2007. I know that Word 2007 engine is now being used instead of IE, and that certain styles are not being supported anymore. I have downloaded the validators as well.

My page consists of nested divs:
<div centers and background colour>
    <div background colour of centre part of form>
       <div header and height>
            <div logo floats left>
                 <div Contents >
                       inserts large image
                       hyperlink text at bottom of image with  font specified
                      unsubscribe link on same line as above text with font specified
                </div>

</div>
      </div>

</div>
</div>

How do I get this to render properly when nested divs and other styles are not supported. Initially I placed the styles in the head of the page, I have now tried inline styles, but they don't work.

Thanks

Mathew Mathew, 8 years ago

Basically you can't use floats in Outlook 2007 - you'd need to use a table to position the elements instead. It sucks, but that's the way it is I'm afraid.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
travisbell travisbell, 8 years ago

And to add to Mathew's comment, divs only have basic (basic!) styling support on top of the mentioned lack of CSS based positioning.

He's right about it sucking though... talk about taking us back 5 years eh?

--
Travis Bell
jdkrause jdkrause, 8 years ago

Essentially if you want it to render right, has to be tables. Sadly.

Nick G, 8 years ago

The best way to build a html email for outlook 2007 ( And crossbrowser in most other clients, yahoo, gmail, aol, and hotmail ) is to use basic html. Use tables for layout and inline css for styling.

Avoid floating all togheter, also i would recommend to avoid using divs aswell.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098