Breaking up in Outlook 2003

Hi all,

We've been sending out successfull campaigns for a year now, having the odd difficulty with Outlook 2007, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Recently we delivered a rather basic campaign but experienced some issues when it came through Outlook 2003 (live delivery unfortunatly). The email appeared great in on just about all systems running 2003 at the office, however there were 2 cases where the email was completely broken, containing the text and links (not the plain text version). The images did not load nor indicate that they could be downloaded, as we checked to see if this was a security issue.

In essence, it appears as though the email program failed to recognize that this was an HTML file and the HTML tag at the top.

Can anyone provide any insight as to what might have caused this or ways to fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.


Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago


That sounds like what Outlook does when it suspects and email is spam - it will strip out the HTML tags from the HTML version, and display that (oddly) instead of showing the plain text version.

It must be something specific to the spam filter rules or 'learning' on those machines triggering the filtering. This can be tricky to track down unfortunately.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
robsedor, 9 years ago

I just ran into this issue with a Campaign Monitor campaign.  The one of my clients had checked "read all standard mail as plain text" in Outlook email options.  This will do the same crude translation to text rather than displaying the plain text version.


Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

Thanks for the additional information Robert, it's good to know another way this could occur.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

200,000 companies around the world can't be wrong.

From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on 
Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that drive real business results.

Get started for free