Table cell background images in Outlook 2007

Hi all,

I am designing a new email newsletter for a client, our first new one since Outlook 2007's release, and I am designing with *gasp* tables...

I see that Outlook 2007 doesn't support the "background-image" CSS property, so instead I'm coding table cells with "background=" attributes. These aren't showing up in my test emails in Outlook 2007 (only "foreground" images are showing up, after selecting "Download Images"). Can anyone shed any light on this? Are even background images in cells not displayed in OL'07?

Gawd, this change by MS is just CLASSIC. I mean, two years ago, I would have JOKED that something like this would happen in the future. But for pete's sake MS, I was only JOKING! :)

Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

Hey Mike,

Unfortunately, Outlook doesn't support old school background= image attributes either. It is hugely annoying - that's why we are going to do something about it.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
mikecron, 9 years ago

Hallelejah to that blog entry. It's really astonishing the step backward that MS's change was.

To confirm my understanding: some of the entries in the Email Eye Candy article (August 17) seem to be using repeating background images. Is it also the case that these examples would not display correctly in OL'07?

Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

That's right - we put them in there for email clients which do support them, and it degrades reasonably gracefully for Outlook / Gmail. It's necessary but not fun!

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free