Article first published January 2016, updated July 2019
Today’s digital landscape is constantly changing. In order to be successful in marketing, it’s necessary to stay on top of the latest trends and improve your marketing efforts as you go.
Blogs can provide inspiration for new strategies, show you new ways of doing things, solve problems you have and ultimately, provide you with the information you need to do your job better.
What are the best digital marketing blogs?
When it comes to marketing, new innovations are happening all the time. For this very reason, you need to know which digital marketing blogs you should be reading as a digital marketer. We know how busy you are, so we’ve decided to save you the leg work of sifting through all the blogs on the internet to find those you should follow.
But first, read on to look at a few qualities you should look for when looking for the best marketing blogs:
- Expertise: A good blog must be able to showcase expertise, not only in the use of words but also by sharing some case studies.
- Authority: How do you gauge the authority of a blog? Simple—check the contributor profiles. If they practice what they preach, then the blog is a good one to follow.
Ready to sink your teeth into some meaty marketing content? Read on to get the comprehensive list and prepare to bookmark many of them!
The best marketing blogs you should be following
To ensure you can easily navigate to your favorite marketing categories, we’ve broken this list up into sections. Each section deals with a particular type of marketing.
General marketing blogs
These blogs highlight general trends in digital marketing.
1. Econsultancy – Econsultancy is an independent market research firm focused on helping marketers do their jobs better, and the blog is an extension of the brand. Topics include advertising, content, customer experience, data & analytics, e-commerce, email marketing, and more.
Must-read post: The killer metric for email subject lines that “experts” don’t understand
2. GrowthHackers – GrowthHackers is a community of business owners, marketers, and startup founders that share and discuss the best ways to grow companies. The community is committed to finding the best ways to increase conversion rates, get recognized in search results, and ultimately increase sales.
Must-read post: How Can You Rank a New Website on Google Fast With SEO?
Source: Growth Hackers
3. MarketingProfs – MarketingProfs is more of a traditional resource than a community, filled with articles on everything marketing, as well as educational resources. MarketingProfs always covers the latest trends and offers tons of ideas on how to improve marketing for your brand.
Must-read post: 20 Email Marketing Tips to Boost Engagement & Readership
4. Shopify – If you’re running marketing at an e-commerce company, Shopify’s blog can provide the marketing tips you need to be successful. Shopify’s blog provides loads of tips on how to sell online, as well as ideas and examples to improve your business. Although Shopify specializes in e-commerce, their blog is so good that marketers of all types can benefit from it.
Must-read post: 6 Foundational E-commerce Marketing Tactics to Stop Your Bucket from Leaking
5. Duct Tape Marketing – Duct Tape Marketing is a fan favorite. Led by John Jantsch, author of the book Duct Tape Marketing, the blog outlines various ways marketers and small business owners can be successful when they’re limited by time, budget, or other resources.
Must-read post: People Buy Stories Before They Buy Stuff
6. G2 Learning Hub – With topics as diverse as the contributors themselves, the G2 learning Hub is a wealth of marketing knowledge. From general technology to sales and marketing to productivity, the G2 Learn Hub has content in all these verticals and in different content formats as well.
Must-read post: How To Do Market Research (+Tips for Small Businesses Just Getting Started)
SEO, content marketing, & copywriting blogs
These blogs help marketers develop SEO and content marketing strategies, as well as improve copywriting skills.
7. Copyblogger– Copyblogger had a blog and a following before it had a product, and their posts are extremely insightful and well-written, covering topics on writing, content marketing, conversion-oriented copywriting, creativity, and more.
Must-read post: How to Use the ‘Rule of Three’ to Create Engaging Content
8. CoSchedule– CoSchedule’s blog provides all the tips necessary to become a great content marketer, offering tons of advice on how to become a better and more efficient blogger and blog manager. Not only does CoSchedule provide advice on content creation and strategy, but it also provides lots of info on how to build an efficient content team.
Must-read post: 5 Lessons From The Forbes Editorial Calendar That Will Make You Better at Blog Planning
9. Content Marketing Institute – Content Marketing Institute (sometimes called CMI) is one of the first publications that started reporting on content marketing, and its blog is one of the best. The news hub has all kinds of resources, including a lot of original research on the current state of the field.
Must-read post: What Effective B2B Content Marketing Looks Like [New Research]
10. Moz – Moz is home to one of the most famous people in SEO—Rand Fishkin, for example—and boasts some of the best research, insights, and advice on how to build SEO and content marketing strategies. Moz also has an active community where users share their success stories and ask for advice.
Must-read post: How We Gained More than 100 Links for a Travel Website via Content Marketing
11. The Content Strategist – Contently is making waves in the brand publishing space, and its blog—The Content Strategist—is the perfect place for marketers to gain insights on the latest trends. The Content Strategist reads more like a media site than a blog, and we love the thoughtful articles.
Must-read post: 7 Email Capture Boxes That Will Make You Want a Fuller Inbox
12. QuickSprout – QuickSprout is a favorite resource for many content marketers and search professionals, and that’s partly because it’s driven by the straightforward and engaging Neil Patel. QuickSprout provides tactical resources on how to get things done—from creating content strategies to doing keyword research.
Must-read post: 6 Ways to Make Your Posts More Actionable
13. Search Engine Land – Where do search marketers go to get the newest insights and best advice? Search Engine Land features must-read news on search engine marketing, providing information on keyword resource, Google’s algorithm changes, evaluating link quality, and much more.
Must-read post: Under 40 Percent Start a “Local Search” With a Search Engine
14. Search Engine Watch – Search Engine Watch provides the latest stories on search engine marketing, SEO trends, and PPC marketing. It’s one of the most widely-read digital marketing publications out there and offers advice to marketers who want to improve their search efforts.
Must-read post: The power of evergreen content for SEO
15. Ahrefs – Like the Moz blog, the Ahrefs blog is also dedicated to giving readers cutting-edge information on SEO. From best practices to tutorials to news pieces, the Ahrefs blog covers it all. This is definitely one of the best marketing blogs as far as traffic generation, search marketing, competitor analysis, and all things SEO are concerned.
Must-read post: E-commerce SEO: A Simple (But Complete) Guide
Customer engagement blogs
These blogs help marketers consider the customer experience at every step of the process.
16. GetFeedback – Want to send a survey to your customers? Then check out GetFeedback’s blog. GetFeedback provides advice on how to create surveys for your audience that can be accessed on all devices, resulting in stellar open and engagement rates.
Must-read post: Everything You Need to Know About Online Survey Response Rates
17. Intercom – Intercom’s blog provides advice on design, customer service, and the business of software. The blog gives advice to marketers and founders working to perfect all customer touchpoints and is a helpful resource for marketers looking to improve the overall user experience.
Must-read post: The 5 Customer Support Metrics That Matter
18. Help Scout – Help Scout’s blog provides insights and advice on how to give great experiences to customers that stay in their minds forever. From how to build a support team, to how to use the right tone in an email, Help Scout has customer engagement marketers covered.
Must-read post: How to Talk to Your Angriest Customers
19. WordOfMouth.org – Every marketer wants happy customers, but how do you get those customers to spread the word about how great you are? WordOfMouth.org’s blog provides examples of real companies seeing success from word of mouth marketing. This blog is an especially good resource for marketers at small businesses.
Must-read post: 3 buzzworthy alternatives to celebrity endorsements
20. Groove HQ – Groove HQ actually has two blogs that are great for marketers—one about their startup journey, and another offering customer support advice. The customer support blog offers advice for any marketer working directly with customers.
Must-read post: How to Automate Customer Service Without Losing That Personal Touch
Source: Groove HQ
Conversion optimization & analytics blogs
These blogs help marketers improve conversion rates through insights on analytics, A/B testing, and much more.
21. Optimizely – Optimizely’s blog is geared towards marketers looking to improve the user experience through the use of conversion optimization and A/B testing. Optimizely provides examples from real companies to help marketers succeed, and their blog is a great resource.
Must-read post: How Obama Raised $60 Million by Running a Simple Experiment
22. Unbounce – How do you create a landing page that instantly converts? Unbounce’s blog has all the advice to show you how it’s done. From copywriting tips to A/B testing strategies, Unbounce can guide you through the process of creating landing pages that convert.
Must-read post: How One Bank Doubled ROI by Being Creative in a Conservative Industry
23. The Daily Egg – The Daily Egg covers everything conversion-oriented, and is set on equipping marketers with the advice they need to improve engagement rates. The Daily Egg focuses on copywriting, A/B testing, email marketing, and analytics.
Must-read post: 5 Ways to Expose Split Testing Ideas (That Are Likely to Succeed!)
24. KISSmetrics – KISSmetrics’ blog covers analytics and conversion optimization, but it also highlights the qualitative, slippery side of marketing as well. The blog specializes in tactics for software-as-a-service (SaaS) companies and highlights such areas as reporting, analytics tools, and creating content to reach the customer.
Must-read post: How Pairing Personalization & Automation Can Skyrocket Email Conversions
25. Conversion XL – ConversionXL compiles all the latest data on conversion optimization in an amazing, data-rich blog that provides tons of insights and a lot of how-to content. ConversionXL covers mobile, pricing, A/B testing, call tracking, and much more.
Must-read post: 11 Things That Work More Often Than Not in A/B Testing
26. Dasheroo – Dasheroo provides a comprehensive dashboard for marketers, and its blog gives a deep dive into data and analytics, tackling such topics as managing KPIs, and how to make data and inbound marketing work together.
Must-read post: How Inbound Marketing & Data Appends Get Us Enterprise Users
27. VWO – A well-respected blog because of the expertise they bring to the table, the VWO blog gives practical insights into marketing trends that work. And because all their information is data backed, you can definitely take their word for it.
Must-read post: 4 Leading Techniques to Design Personalized Apps
Social media marketing blogs
These blogs help marketers improve their social media marketing efforts through insights, suggested strategies, and other tips.
28. Buffer – The Buffer blog is the holy grail of social media marketing. Buffer has one of the most well-read and well-loved blogs in the marketing space. Buffer posts an array of information on how to improve social media marketing efforts, and any marketer can gain wisdom from Buffer’s blog.
Must-read post: The Ultimate Guide to Creating the Perfect Social Media Calendar
29. Sprout Social – Sprout Social’s social media insights blog is the perfect place to go to find the latest tips on managing social media marketing initiatives. Sprout Social highlights tactics, strategies, as well as must-have skills to excel on social media.
Must-read post: How to Use Hashtags on Every Social Media Network
30. Social Media Examiner – Social Media Examiner covers everything marketers need to know about social media marketing, and even offers tips on other areas, such as content marketing and analytics. Social Media Examiner is quick to recommend helpful tools, as well.
Must-read post: How B2B Marketers Use Facebook to Reach Customers
31. Socialbakers – Socialbakers’ blog provides insights on social media statistics, as well as examples of companies doing social media marketing well. The best part of Socialbakers blog, however, is its original research on interesting social media trends.
Must-read post: Socialbakers Finds Shares Correlate 94% with Brands’ Viral Reach
32. Social Media Today – As the name suggests, Social Media Today is a news-style blog that covers everything to do with social media. From user trends to marketing opportunities, you get it all in one place.
Must-read post: Will Facebook’s Libra Currency Impact Small Business Pages?
Source: Social Media Today
Video marketing blogs
These blogs help marketers develop marketing videos and improve their overall video marketing strategies.
33. Wistia – Wistia is an educational resource for any marketer looking to get more out of videos. Not only does Wistia’s blog provide information on how to create videos, but it also provides information on how to market these videos. If you want to learn how to write a video script, build relationships with your audience, or simply get better at video marketing, read this blog.
Must-read post: The Familiarity Principle: Building Relationships With Video
34. Official YouTube Blog – If you want to stay on top of current trends in video, look no further than YouTube’s official blog. YouTube collects tons of information about which videos get watched, and looking through the blog can get marketers up to speed on video trends.
Must-read post: Celebrating what you created, watched and shared in 2015 with #YouTubeRewind and Youtube’s new Trending tab
35. Video Brewery – Video Brewery’s blog provides basic, must-know information about video marketing, and is a great resource for anyone looking to improve video marketing efforts. Video Brewery provides tons of examples of effective marketing videos, offering inspiration to marketers everywhere.
Must-read post: 18 Reasons Why Corporate Videos Fail
Email marketing blogs
These blogs help marketers improve email engagement rates, and provide insights on overall email marketing strategy.
36. Campaign Monitor – Not to toot our own horn, but the team at Campaign Monitor works hard to bring our audience helpful information on creating email marketing strategies that work. We highlight real companies gaining value from email, offer tips and actionable suggestions on email marketing topics like email list growth, subject lines, testing, delivery and so much more. All in consumable content lengths for the busy-on-the-go marketer.
Must-read post: Use the inverted pyramid model to create an effective email newsletter
37. Litmus – Litmus provides email marketing analytics, and its blog provides info on how to get the most out of your email marketing campaigns. The blog highlights email marketing success metrics, how to effectively A/B test campaigns, as well as which email clients are most popular.
Must-read post: Top 10 Email Marketing Stats of 2015
38. Return Path – Return Path’s blog covers email optimization, email fraud protection, customer success, and other topics around metrics, analytics, and email success. Marketers that want to improve their email efforts can turn to Return Path’s blog to make sure they’re following email marketing best practices.
Must-read post: Metrics Mayhem: Why Your Emails Are Bouncing
39. Email Monks – Email Monks’ blog focuses on email delivery, email marketing, email ROI, as well as creating responsive, mobile-friendly emails. Email Monks’ blog is almost like a news hub—the blog covers the latest tips, trends, and stats in the email marketing space, making it a great resource for every marketer.
Must-read post: Responsive Emails – Evolution from 2013-2015 and the Journey ahead!
40. Email on Acid – Email on Acid’s blog covers email testing and email analytics, helping marketers improve conversion rates and revenue streams via email. They even have an entire category focused on email development that helps tap into your inner email geek.
Must-read post: Using Ghost Columns to Fix Alignment Problems in Outlook
41. FreshInbox – FreshInbox’s blog is an email marketing resource for those with a technical interest, as the blog shares interactive and advanced email design techniques and news. Written by Justin Khoo, an email expert passionate about email coding and tricks, FreshInbox’s blog covers email animation, how to create interactive designs, and much more.
Must-read post: Gmail, We Need To Talk
42. Emailmonday – Emailmonday is a blog written by Jordie van Rijn, an email marketing consultant with 10 years of experience based in the Netherlands. Jordie writes practical email marketing tips and explains strategy and tactics in easy to understand ways.
Must-read post: Customer Lifetime Value Calculation for Email Marketing
43. Trendline Interactive – Trendline Interactive is an agency that helps companies build email programs. The blog, “Thoughts on Email Marketing,” is a great resource for marketers looking to get their email marketing programs off the ground. The short, thoughtful posts give marketers new ways to consider email.
Must-read post: 7 Preview Text Mistakes And How You Can Fix Them
44. Kickbox – Kickbox helps marketers keep their lists squeaky clean and their blog offers no-nonsense advice and practical tips about email marketing and deliverability.
Must-read post: Oops! Email Marketing Mistakes & Misconceptions
Paid marketing blogs
These blogs offer insights on paid marketing tactics, such as PPC, social media ads, and native advertising.
45. AdRoll – AdRoll brings marketers and advertisers the latest news and advice in paid marketing. AdRoll interviews experts and influencers writes in a straightforward manner about retargeting and provides a holistic view of paid advertising.
Must-read post: Ad Blockers: Tired Hype, or Real Threat?
46. AdWeek – AdWeek is a magazine and a website, not a blog, but it provides some of the most innovative and helpful advertising content on the web, as well as breaking news in the space. AdWeek covers advertising campaigns from Fortune 500 companies, dissecting what makes ads successful—and what makes them flop.
Must-read post: Here Are 25 Sweet, Simple Ads From Coca-Cola’s Big New ‘Taste the Feeling’ Campaign
47. WordStream – WordStream is a paid marketing agency, and its blog provides tactical information on how to get the most out of paid marketing. WordStream’s holistic approach helps marketers and advertisers understand the blurry line between paid advertising and organic marketing initiatives.
Must-read post: 5 Tips for Dominating Your E-Commerce Keyword Research
48. PPC Hero – PPC Hero provides tips on how to manage digital advertising spend, covering the most important trends in the PPC (pay-per-click) space. PPC Hero is a particularly good resource for marketers and advertising agencies that provide clients with paid advertising services.
Must-read post: A Step-By-Step Introduction to Amazon Product Ads
Source: PPC Hero
Other favorite blogs
Here are a few more of our favorite marketing blogs:
49. For market research – Forrester is one of the most highly-regarded market research agencies, and its marketing blog provides tons of interesting insights and helpful statistics.
50. For mobile marketers – Mixpanel provides analytics for mobile, and its blog is dedicated to providing advice on how to optimize for the App Store, how to build a popular game, and how to manage mobile metrics.
51. For referral marketing – Referral marketing, the process of getting new business through existing customers, is one of the best ways to generate new customers. Referral Rock’s blog gives must-read advice on how to build a referral program.
52. For marketers building businesses – Inc. and Entrepreneur are excellent resources for marketers looking for advice on how to start, run, and grow businesses. Both resources provide tons of marketing advice, but they both cover a lot of other helpful topics, too.
53. For organizational insights and leadership advice – Harvard Business Review provides insanely interesting insights on how to effectively manage an organization. If you want to be as effective as possible and lead your team to success, give Harvard Business Review a read.
54. For inspiration and “make you think” pieces – Seth Godin is regarded by many as one of the most insightful marketers, and his blog backs that up. Godin won’t provide you with tactical advice, but he will give you short, inspirational words of wisdom that will make you think about how you approach marketing.
As a digital marketer, you’re constantly looking for ways to improve. Marketing blogs are a great way to come up with new ideas, find new tactics, and draw inspiration. There are hundreds of marketing blogs that are worth a read—these are 51 of our favorites.
As they say, readers are leaders. With this extensive collection of blogs to feed your mind on, you can easily set yourself up for success in your field. Be sure to check out our compilation of the top 58 digital marketing statistics you need to know for 2019 to stay abreast of what’s happening in the digital marketing space.