Email marketing can be a massive asset to building your brand, but only if you have the right tools at your disposal. Having a custom domain for your website is one step in the right direction, and the next logical one would be to create your own custom email address.
Most domain hosts include the use of a custom email address in the price of your custom website domain these days, so if you’re already paying for it, why not use it?
Read on to discover easy to follow steps to create your own custom email address with two popular hosting sites.
What is a custom email address?
A custom email address is exactly what it sounds like—an email address that is custom made to align with your business. In many cases, especially for brands just starting up, they only need one custom email address. These addresses are typically set up with the following formula in mind:
- FirstInitial+Last [email protected]
Of course, this isn’t the only formula for setting up a custom email address, here are a few other examples often used by companies:
Why does having a custom email address matter for your business?
With an estimated 3.8 billion email accounts live online worldwide, it can be hard to stand out from everyone else in an overly crowded inbox. Here are just a few reasons why a custom email address can help you stand apart from the crowd—and most importantly, the competition.
Viewers will see you as the professional you are.
Applying that first initial + last name formula to a generic Gmail address doesn’t give off that professional vibe that a sender wants.
Having a custom email address helps to identify this individual as a professional working for a specific, recognizable, and trustworthy company. It automatically makes this email seem not only more professional but more legitimate.
You will stand out from the crowd.
Many individuals will skip over a generic Gmail email simply for the fact that it doesn’t stand out. But they might also assume the content of the email is malicious since they don’t recognize the sender.
Other subscribers, on the other hand, may flag this address as email spam because it comes off as unprofessional.
A custom email address builds brand consistency.
Brand consistency is crucial for any business, and it applies to more than just your website design. Consistency should be applied to not only your website, but the emails you send, the social media posts you schedule, and yes, even your email address.
Having a custom email address establishes a connection between your website and your communication efforts. Those who frequent your business or are new to it will be able to easily identify your emails in their crowded inboxes thanks to seeing the brand name in your custom email address.
Create relevant department addresses for varying campaigns.
Custom email addresses also identify different individuals within your business. Depending on how your brand chooses to set up your custom email addresses, your audience will be able to identify them as specific individuals, or they will be able to identify different departments.
In fact, having dedicated departmental email addresses simplifies the process getting in touch with the right department when a problem arises for a customer. This can cut down on frustration and make your customer support experience all the more positive for them.
These custom email addresses typically take on the following forms:
How to secure a custom email address
Depending on which hosting site your business has decided to partner with, there are several steps to securing and creating a custom email address.
If you’ve chosen to work with the web hosting service, GoDaddy, you’ll want to make sure you look in the right direction when setting up your custom email address. In this case, you’ll want to set up your “Workspace” email address. Here are the steps you need to know:
- Log into your GoDaddy account and head over to “My Products.”
- Select the “Workspace Email” section and click on “Manage All.”
- At the very top of the email address list, you’ll want to click on the “Create” option.
- Enter the custom email address you want to create.
- You’ll then enter and confirm a password for your new email address.
- Once you hit “Create,” you’ll see a congratulations popup that confirms that the process went smoothly.
- You’ll want to enter your email address in the popup and then click on “Send.” This will send you a final confirmation email with instructions for what to do next.
Google Domain and G Suite
If you’ve decided to go with Google Domain and Google’s G Suite for your business’ email needs, then there are helpful setup wizards to walk you through the process.
- First, you’ll have to set up your G Suite account. You’ll enter in all your information, including your business information, to help you create your custom email address. Source: Envato Tuts+
- Google will then ask you to verify that you are the owner of your domain. There are several different options here to verify that you own your domain site, so choose the one that is easiest for you.
- Once you’ve completed each of the verification steps, you’ll go ahead and click “Verify and Set Up Email.”
- Once the verification and setup processes are complete, you’ll click on “Next” which will take you to the varying Plan options you can choose from. Pick the one that best suits your businesses needs.
- You’ll then go through the process of adding your business information and payment options.
- You’ll be able to check out recommended products to add to your suit, and then you will be good to go.
Migrating your email marketing to Campaign Monitor? Here’s how!
Here at Campaign Monitor, your businesses success is our primary concern. With that, we offer several different options for not only creating stunning email campaigns but also for monitoring the success of each campaign while helping you maintain a healthy subscriber list.
That said, if you are looking to migrate your email marketing efforts to Campaign Monitor, we’ve got a simple step-by-step process you can follow.
To get you started, all you need is a custom domain set up so that you can log into Campaign Monitor using that domain name.
From there, our step-by-step guide will help you make the final transition as smooth as possible.
Having a custom website domain is excellent, but in order to solidify your online presence, you want to make sure you are creating and utilizing a custom email address as well.
- Having a custom email address help:
- You look like the professional you are
- To maintain brand consistency
- Stand out in an overcrowded inbox
Ready to start sending out new and improved email campaigns with Campaign Monitor? Then make sure to request your demo today!