Article first published in November 2017, updated July 2019.
The impact of email marketing goes way beyond getting messages into inboxes. Email marketing is about reaching your audience, all while providing relevant, personalized content.
While personalizing to each individual reader is impossible, thanks to advancements in email marketing tools, your massive subscriber list can be segmented into a variety of different categories, including:
- Past Search/Purchase History
- Personal Preferences & more
With so many digital channels available to marketing teams, it can sometimes be difficult to choose. Luckily, there’s no need to limit yourself.
As long as email marketing is one of the channels your team leverages, you’ll likely see results from your efforts. That’s why we’ve assembled an impressive collection of 24 email marketing statistics every professional should consider, especially when choosing a primary marketing channel.
In this infographic, you’ll find data-backed email marketing stats on everything from personalization, email automation to ROI, and mobile emails.
- Open rates for personalized emails average 188% compared to 12.1% without personalization – Statista
- 94% of customer insights and marketing professionals stated that personalization is “extremely important” for meeting their email marketing objectives – Conversant Media
- 66% of all marketers are working toward securing internal resources to execute personalized marketing programs – Conversant Media
- Marketers have seen a 760% increase in revenue from segmented campaigns – Campaign Monitor
- [First Name] emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened – Campaign Monitor
- 50% of companies feel they can increase interaction with email by increasing personalization – Experian
- Automated emails generate 320% more revenue than non-automated emails – Campaign Monitor
- Transactional emails 8x more opens and clicks than other emails and can generate 6x more revenue – Experian
- Nurtured leads make 47% larger purchases – The Annuitas Group
- 78% of marketers say that list segmentation is the marketing automation feature they can’t live without – Gleanster
- Customers who receive automated abandoned shopping cart emails are 2.4x more likely to complete their purchase – Experian
- 55% of all companies are currently using marketing automation – Emailmonday
- Email marketing drives an average of $44 for every $1 spent – Campaign Monitor
- 77% of email ROI comes from segmented, targeted and triggered campaigns – DMA
- 87% of all marketers plan to invest more in their email marketing budget – Email on Acid
- Automated emails drive conversion rates 180% higher than batch emails – VentureBeat
- Email Marketing’s ROI was 28.5% compared to 7% for direct mail – Chief Marketer
- Email marketing produces an average of 174% more conversions than social media – Campaign Monitor
- The total number of worldwide mobile email users will be more than 2.2 billion by the end of 2018 – The Radicati Group
- An average of 8 in 10 internet users will use a smartphone to access the internet on a regular basis in 2017 – eMarketer
- Apple iPhones are the most common mobile device used to open emails for the first time, while 90% of all mobile opens occur on an Apple device – Campaign Monitor
- 68% of companies have already integrated mobile marketing into their overall marketing strategy – Salesforce
- The number of new smartphone subscribers is growing at a rate of more than 20% per year – Mary Meeker via TechCrunch
- Email open rates on mobile devices grew to 68% in 2016 compared to 21% in 2012 – Campaign Monitor
Now that you know the many benefits of email marketing, it’s time to work on your email marketing metrics. Learn how to use them to your benefit, and gauge the success of your email marketing campaigns. Important metrics to watch include:
- Open rate
- Click-through rate
- Deliverability rate
- Spam rate
- Bounce rate
- Unsubscribe rate & more
Want to learn where your brand stands when it comes to email marketing? Compare your email marketing metrics to these industry benchmarks and see how you stack up.
Embed this infographic on your site. Get the code.
Talk to an expert
Warning: getimagesize(//www.campaignmonitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/infographic-design-final-4.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nas/content/live/cmwpprod/wp-content/themes/cm-theme/single-infographics.php on line 106